1968 toujours

Wonderful:

In the context of numerous student occupations of their universities
and mass demonstrations, the seminar Marxism in Culture has organised
a special session on 17th December at the Insitute of Historical
Research, Senate House, 5.30. All welcome.

‘Cultures of Occupation and Demonstration: 2010/1968/1917’

With
Warren Carter
Gail Day
Steve Edwards
Esther Leslie
David Mabb
Nina Power
Alberto Toscano.

As far as I understood it, MIC had invited some of the actual students to speak at this event… I guess the invitation has been rescinded. Apparently, instead, the students who’ve led the most successful student occupation / demonstration in decades are supposed to show up and listen to their olders and betters lecture to them about 1968. Can’t wait, I’m sure…

Update: Sorted. See the comments. Was an oversight, apparently, on the part of the organizers. Can’t wait to hear the students speak in a different context. The new roster, as far as I know it:

Sofie Buckland

Warren Carter

Steve Edwards

Esther Leslie

David Mabb

Alberto Toscano

and other Students from the Occupations.

December 13, 2010 at 11:18 am

Posted in academia, occupations

1. The blogosphere is doing a tremendous job of keeping me abreast of the current events in the UK through a variety of sources and perspectives, but you appear to have a total monopoly on the petty and embittered angle.

Giovanni

December 13, 2010 at 9:25 pm

• Well, Giovanni, that’s because I am often “embittered” lately. I am embittered by kids with their skulls basically broken, embittered by venal journalists, embittered by incessant 1968 comparisons etc etc. Luckily though the blog is only the late night outlet for that stuff…. My days are another matter and I’m doing the best that I can with them.

The things seem petty because, yes, they are local issues of concern… But they are issues of concern. If you want panoramic coverage of the events I suggest you look elsewhere.

And by the way, it looks like the issue with this seminar is sorted. In part because I got very fucked off about it – but others definitely helped.

December 13, 2010 at 9:31 pm

2. There are also students from Royal Holloway occupation and Goldsmiths’ occupations speaking.

Marxism In Culture

December 13, 2010 at 9:42 pm

3. Wonderful. Sounds good.

December 13, 2010 at 9:46 pm

4. My comment keeps being eaten…. No students were uninvited, they were accidentally left off the list in the rush to publicise the last-minute event. Apologies to them.

Marxism In Culture

December 13, 2010 at 9:50 pm

5. The session is more of a roundtable discussion with no contribution to last more than five minutes. Nina Power and Gail Day are no longer speaking (Gail is chairing though). All are welcome!

Marxism In Culture

December 13, 2010 at 9:52 pm

6. Sofie Buckland (UCL) is speaking as are two other students in the comment that did go up.

Marxism In Culture

December 13, 2010 at 9:54 pm

7. I’ll be there! Glad that this has gotten sorted out!

December 13, 2010 at 9:57 pm

8. Sorry about the comment problems too. You hit an old filter on the name of a university that I’ve had from when I was more concerned about the anonymity of this blog.

December 13, 2010 at 10:01 pm

9. There are also students from Royal Holloway occupation and Goldsmiths’ occupations speaking.

Sharron Clemons