another prayer

Grant me to accept, with requisite disdain and without anxiety, the inferior yet successful works of others.

For the world is full of successful books that I am glad I neither wrote nor read.

Let me not follow them unto that tomb of google monitoring and the endless fulfillment of empty requests.

For I would feel shallow, and I know that that is what I like least of all.

Teach me to work in the blind, having read and written and rewritten until right – and even before that, having thought and thought again until ready.

For the undercooked is no more kosher than the stupid.

Allow me not to fall into the perversion of easy fulfillment.

For what is easy is, as the saying says, not all that worth it.

Allow me to choose to be right rather than popular, full rather than ready, worked rather than underfed and without an actual argument.

For underfeeding and hurry starves thought, and thought is all there is.

Let me get this sentence right, and then the next one, rather than worrying about schedules and word-counts.

For I have read the hurried books, and I remain glad that I did not write them – a deep subjective crisis would ensue.

Grant me not to write at speed, whatever the others are doing.

For writing at speed is the enemy of both argument and real pertinence – edible only by the stupid, and this is not my demographic.

May 5, 2010 at 11:20 pm

1. Amen, bruddah.

antoniomarcospereira

May 6, 2010 at 1:00 am

2. […] a prece: não é puxasaquismo não, que isso não nos convém – mas vejam que coisa linda a Another prayer, mais uma vez do blog do cara de Londres do qual eu fiquei fã: impressionante como há tanta coisa […]

3. I know this violates blog comment decorum by not being ironical, wacky, sarcastic, ‘humourous’* etc, but I found that quite beautiful.

*Of course, adding the preface means that I didn’t violate blog decorum and committed those glib sins.

Penelope

May 6, 2010 at 1:39 am

4. thought is all there is

Steady on old chap…getting a bit solipsistic here methinks. Go hiking in the Alps – clear dry air, fewer Limeys, inspiring to Wordsworth and Turner.

davidaa

May 6, 2010 at 2:42 am

• That’s almost my only golden rule. “Was it inspiring to Wordsworth and Turner? Then don’t do it.”

Giovanni

May 6, 2010 at 3:27 am

5. funny…I thought prayers had to be in Hebrew.

pollian

May 6, 2010 at 4:13 am

6. Antonio and Penelope,

Thanks so much, wow.

DavidAA,

I have to mark exams. I can’t leave London. I’m sure I’ll mark exams on Wordsworth, but I’m not sure that’s the same thing.

Giovanni,

Ha! I’m pretty much that way too.

Pollian,

Done and done: http://tinyurl.com/32gprkj

May 6, 2010 at 6:47 am

7. I like this. I have a lot of angst over the fact that I haven’t published my novel yet, despite so many others I know having published (and many of those published books are not good). My book isn’t ready yet and I won’t rush it, which is strange for me – I’m very impatient. But this is too important to show to the world before it’s ready and I think I’ll be glad I waited. I know others who should have waited!

Anglofille

May 6, 2010 at 2:06 pm

8. I can’t leave London

Few statements could be grimmer. May the Lawn (Tennyson, gentleman poet) have mercy ‘pon ye.

davidaa

May 6, 2010 at 11:28 pm

• London will prove the very source of honour. 10
      Plunged fairly in, like a cold bath it serves,
      When principles relax, to brace the nerves:
      Such is my case; and yet I must deplore
      That the gay dream of dissipation ’s o’er.
      And say, ye fair! was ever lively wife, 15
      Born with a genius for the highest life,
      Like me untimely blasted in her bloom,
      Like me condemn’d to such a dismal doom?
      Save money—when I just knew how to waste it!
      Leave London—just as I began to taste it! 20
      Must I then watch the early crowing cock,
      The melancholy ticking of a clock;
      In a lone rustic hall for ever pounded,
      With dogs, cats, rats, and squalling brats surrounded?

Lady Teazle

May 7, 2010 at 12:45 am

9. Very nice. But ‘thought is all there is’? Disagree. Strongly.

Bosie

May 7, 2010 at 12:12 am

10. I really enjoyed this post (and rather wish I’d stumbled upon it before me deadlines!).

BenSix

May 7, 2010 at 12:29 pm

11. […] brega), e esse anônimo blogueiro que descobri graças ao DP (veja que manifestações magníficas essa e essa aqui – observe como o segundo é uma cápsula de etnografia da literatura […]