more flight

The conceit of this virtual world is that you fly from place to place. There are resorts and shopping malls, sectors devoted to polymorphous sex and others where you can worship the god (or gods) of your choice. Condominium complexes range around amusement parks and zoos full of dinosaurs – a entire world where adult infantility reigns supreme beyond the darkest (brightest?) dreams of Houllebecq.

At first the flying goes fine – he is soaring about a zone of chain restaurants, then a meticulously reconstructed Mayan temple. But soon enough, as he heads out over a beach where thousands of volleyball teams are holding a massive double-elimination tournament in the nude,  he starts to slow down. He slows down… or the frame rate of the world he is in slows down. He seems to hang in place for seconds at a time and then lurch a few meters forward. Eventually he comes to a complete halt, his eyes locked on nothing but the sun and the deep blue sky.

He hasn’t the bandwidth for this sort of thing, he lives too far from the central servers.

January 15, 2010 at 2:25 pm

1. I used to have flying dreams about 10 years ago maybe. I don’t have many dreams at all any more, or simply never remember them.

DavidAA

January 15, 2010 at 4:57 pm

• People keep telling me they don’t dream. I know what they mean, but I don’t believe them… I usually don’t remember much in the way of detail – just the general sensation of grinding, slow panic.

January 15, 2010 at 5:01 pm

2. For years I’ve been confused about the process of experiencing vs remembering dreams. Perhaps it’s like seeing a film for the first time, more about direct experience rather than memory. Watching them through a second or third time we notice details because of the accumulated memory. With dreams/nightmares we only get one viewing, unless it is a recurring one, but repeatitions don’t necessarily give us more understanding, since the plot of the dream hasn’t been worked out by professional screenwriters.

DavidAA

January 15, 2010 at 5:26 pm

3. You’re lucky. I had my last flying dream when I was five.

T.M.

January 17, 2010 at 9:13 pm

4. As someone who writes I am frightened by never remembering my dreams and always envy those who do. Supposedly it makes one more creative. Which I suppose is true, as long as dreaming means having a remotely healthy sleep schedule.

Second Life as a dream replacement strikes me as one of the better characterizations out there. Which means that 4chan trolls are truly nightmares – the Final Boss of the Internet, as those involved like to say.

January 19, 2010 at 7:52 am