matrimonial bliss, amongst the ruins

Special shoutout to Mrs Ads, who has been providing me with every comfort, material and immaterial, during the Crisis. We have gotten through tough times together, right from the start, but this is perhaps the toughest. And she’s there. The point is not lost on Mr. Ads.

November 10, 2009 at 12:20 am

Posted in academia

1. I’m trying to find a way of blaming Eurodisney for all of this. I’m sure there’s a link.

DavidAA

November 10, 2009 at 10:33 am

2. It had got to the point where he took back every third word that he said. He started sentences over and over, continually rewording them, then lapsing into silences that lasted five minutes or more. His students whispered conspiracies amongst themselves. “He can’t be losing it – remember last week when he had that brilliant analogy about psychological transmogrification and the late chapters of Ulysses?” “Yes, but what about the beard?” “The beard is irrelevant. He might have a Santa Claus gig lined up for Christmas or something.”

DavidAA

November 11, 2009 at 11:47 am

3. I shaved the beard. As well as the post I wrote last night.

Sorry about deleting the comments, folks. I guess the best that I can do is warn moving forward that when I write exceptionally angry posts at night, there’s a good chance they’ll be gone by morning.

November 11, 2009 at 11:48 am

4. ‘Sorry about deleting the comments, folks.’

I don’t think we care. In fact, unless we have something outside the anger to say, we don’t respond to those anyway.

ray fuller

November 11, 2009 at 5:14 pm

5. Wouldn’t that be Mrs. Without Products?

Peli Grietzer

November 11, 2009 at 8:44 pm

6. We’ve already had that discussion, Peli. Don’t you read all of my posts?

November 11, 2009 at 8:45 pm

7. Speaking of all of your posts… can we count from now on all your late-night posts being deleted first thing the next day? Makes for interesting reflections on permanence and memory that are sort of my bread and butter, but nonetheless one feels like asking. Not for nothing, I had obvious issues with a particular word you used therein, but the polemic on the whole seemed interesting.

Giovanni

November 11, 2009 at 10:02 pm

• My policy is going to be to comment no more here. The fact that those posts were deleted did not go with my best image of the owner.

ray fuller

November 11, 2009 at 10:54 pm

8. Argh! What’s the story here? There is a deleted post, something catclysmic has clearly taken place, and I don’t know what it is. Nightmare.

Richard

November 12, 2009 at 11:22 am

9. Some might say the post(s) in question didn’t go with their ‘best image of the owner’

Maybe Ads would be among them?

ZSTC

November 12, 2009 at 3:14 pm

• Well, I said I wouldn’t comment further, but now that you quote me, yeah, he might, which is exactly what the corolloary to what I said would have to be. The problem is that a good indulgent bravado is admirable sometimes, but not so convincing to then say ‘obviously I had to take this off’. It wasn’t obvious, so therefore seems to be taking his commenters as dupes. I didn’t say anything on that one, but the other one, while crazed-sounding, had at least some raging guts. Deleting them didn’t. But then that’s just the kind of image I’d value, not you nor him. Like–this comment may piss him off as many of mine have, but I don’t give a shit if he deletes it, blocks me or whatever and he knows that. At least it’s not some limp, barren thing. If you can’t stand by your own bravado and toughness, then it’s usually better to force yourself not to display them.

ray fuller

November 12, 2009 at 5:50 pm

• Yeah, ‘cuz talking vague shit on a comments thread qualifies as bravado & toughness. I hadn’t realized the internet was so brimming with such courageous combatants! Evidently I’d mistaken them for just dudes with computers & short tempers.

Seb

November 12, 2009 at 5:59 pm

10. Yeah, ‘cuz talking vague shit on a comments thread qualifies as bravado & toughness.

Certainly does, yours is a superb example of not only bravado and toughness, but incisiveness and scintillating brilliance as well! MAY we congratulate you?

ray fuller

November 12, 2009 at 6:24 pm

• ‘Fraid not, my good man. I’m neither brave nor tough; I’m just a dude with a computer and a short temper.

Seb

November 13, 2009 at 5:11 am

• hey, that’s all right too, you know 🙂

ray fuller

November 13, 2009 at 5:23 am

11. Of all the things we hold dear those little gestures of human kindness are never something to dismiss lightly, no? Its just that they ussually come from the least unexpected places. I had a re-run of this thought a couple of weeks ago hurtling down the motorway to catch the 11:13pm Helsinki flight. As always happens when you’re trying to get to somewhere fast, impediments multiply thick and fast, and with them the onset of a low key anxiety. Clearly not enough to induce the finger nail biting anxiety a notorious criminal must face when standing trial, but enough of a reactive spur for me to abandon my hired car in desperation. In retrospect, I can say this was a very bad idea as motorways are pretty inhospitable places to find yourself on foot. I’m not sure how many others out there can say they have experienced the despair of passing under a 10 metre sodium lit billboard advertising nesting coffee tables. What I can say though in such moments where we abondon ourselves to the sweet *precarity*, the nagging sense of remorse and regret become so much meaningless ballast happily, if only momentarily discarded to the winds. Perhaps in this round about way I unwittingly got to put a lid on one set of frustrations I never realised I had.

Arabian Nights

November 13, 2009 at 12:37 am

12. Giovanni,

Sorry about the use of that word – you’re right, and I won’t use it again.

I think what you can count on, hopefully, is me not writing that sort of post for a bit. Therefore no AM takedown. This has been probably the hardest week I’ve ever had – which speaks volumes about the relative OKness of my life in general – but it’s not been nice. And while I’m still way pissed off about certain things, I’m also feeling slightly more in control now. (Short version is – I’m nearly through with my book… the fucking thing I’ve been working on for a decade…)

Arabian Nights,

Lovely anecdote! Are you really the guy who writes Spengler for the Asia Times? If so… I’ve followed and liked your work for a long time…

November 13, 2009 at 11:33 am