hell 6: morning rites

My wife claims that she can tell my mood and general stance by what she finds me doing when she comes down to the kitchen in the morning. If I am reading the newspaper, that is one sort of thing. If I am typing into a blog window, that is another sort of thing.

The other day she said I miss you and the newspapers, you with all of the newspapers in the morning.

Was it Hobsbawm who claimed that the morning paper was the modern man’s version of daily prayer? When I am happy and invested in the world outside, my mornings are a full church-service of engaged attention in the human. Otherwise, it is something closer to a black mass of interactivity.

Hell definitely isn’t other people, but it probably has something to do with compulsive issueless work and nonsynchronous communication.

August 12, 2009 at 6:00 am

Posted in blogs, hell

1. Cute.

Dmitry

August 12, 2009 at 7:27 am

2. It was Hegel, but I think I read it in Hobsbawm.

Rory Dufficy

August 12, 2009 at 10:21 am

3. It was Hegel. Susan Buck-Morss cites it in her ‘Hegel, Haiti and World History’ and gives the source as the biography of Hegel by Rosenkranz.

Chris Horner

August 12, 2009 at 11:37 am

4. Dmitry,

As IT performatively pointed out yesterday, I know, my hell posts have been a little too cute. Dammit.

Rory and Chris,

Yep. Hegel is right. I wish I could find the Hobsbawm reference though, as I’m sure that’s where I first read it. I do have the SBM book though – purchased after Zizek’s talk at the Communism conference oh so long ago….

August 13, 2009 at 12:42 am

• That was when I bought it! he did a lot for her sales..

Chris Horner

August 14, 2009 at 1:22 pm

• Yeah Amazon took a crazy long time to get it to me. I think crazy Z may have sold out the print run a few times over. I think just about everyone bought a copy… Know others who did….

August 14, 2009 at 1:23 pm