brickeee

Oh man, I bricked my fucking eee. I had Mac OS X up and running on the damn thing this morning. The only niggle was that I could get it to wake up from sleeping – which is sort of a big issue, as it takes about eight minutes to boot the machine under Mac OS. So I found a fix online, flashed the BIOS, which didn’t fix the sleep problem but did screw up the screen size such that you could see neither the top nor bottom menus and there weren’t any other options available for screen resolution. Efforts to remedy ensued, efforts that only made things way, way worse.

So now my little constructivist tool-friend is a piece of fried plastic and silicon. It basically can’t load from anything, has nothing but foolishness on its flashdrive. I’ve tried pretty much everything at this point, and basically can recognize that I’m swiftly sinking into a hole of broken BIOS, a hole from which there’s no escape.

My wife thinks this is a ploy to be allowed to buy a MacBook Air. Maybe. But know what? I hate computers. All around. From databases to facebook, from godforsaken twitter to spreadsheets, I hate them and all that they do and honestly believe that the world was a better place when it was all newsprint, cheap pens, and spiral notebooks.

With semi-broken computer an unattractive option to use today, I hauled out a hipdork moleskine notebook and some printouts of what I’ve been working on. I spent a few hours of actual productivity – rare this week – that way. Hmmm….

Pollian? Interested in a little recovery project? After all, erm, you suggested that I… well…. No, that’s not fair, is it?

July 3, 2009 at 11:19 pm

Posted in Uncategorized

1. Ads,

“But know what? I hate computers. All around. From databases to facebook, from godforsaken twitter to spreadsheets, I hate them and all that they do and honestly believe that the world was a better place when it was all newsprint, cheap pens, and spiral notebooks.”

This is affecting, and probably touches a deep nerve in anybody over [fill in whatever used to be known as “the age of reason”, then add on another twenty or so probably equally reason-free years]. But such ejaculations frequently have little issue, and are best put to the test of time–once things are up and running again, will the hate not give way to redoubled love [abject gratitude]?

Doubtless there have been priests of every religion who harboured just such private thoughts about their gods… maybe even (or especially, one supposes) during Inquisition periods.

tom clark

July 4, 2009 at 12:11 am

2. It’s a long shot if you really have borked your BIOS, but there are a few linux distros out there that you could try booting off a usb stick. If pressing ESC when it boots allows you to select which drive to book from.
    I’ve run this one v. happily on my eee off a usb

also they have a great community who might be able to help.

darwinev0lved

July 4, 2009 at 1:51 am

3. I’ve bricked my share of motherboards and it’s never fun. But I have learned a few tricks along the way. And if I happen to find myself in London in the next month or so (who knows?), I shall do my best.

Also, an update on a previous comment while I’m here. The temporality of the birthing experience is fundamentally altered by the absence of drugs. No epidural=no downtime, just a ceaseless exchange of pain and fear. Bad stuff.

pollian

July 4, 2009 at 3:13 am

4. On the other hand, Ads, there is a small reclusive community of utopian spiral notebook users who upon request will visit you stealthily in the night, dispensing free pencils and erasers, and be gone before the first user application of rosy-fingered dawn.

tom clark

July 4, 2009 at 7:44 am

5. No, “in all seriousness” there’s no getting away from it, over it or around it with the pencil-and-paper thing. We simply must have

Bliss

tom clark

July 4, 2009 at 12:21 pm

6. darwinev0lved,

That’s a damned good idea, and I’d bet it might work. (I am – or was, before I gave up) having trouble even getting it to hit the USB port on start up, but I bet with some effort I could get it to.

pollian,

Yes, that’d be quite nice. Well spend the morning before any business you need to conduct doing that – good to take your mind of things.

And yep, yep. I know about the other thing too. Jesus god. Was thinking this weekend that likely my wife would have been dead twice over if we’d have done this a hundred years ago. Hope all is well in the aftermath, anyway, and will write soon.

Tom,

July 5, 2009 at 9:59 pm

7. “I know – there’s no escape. Sometimes I just think, you know, it was better back before…”

Ah, we’ll perhaps one day have to slink off into a back alley to say these things. Pausing then in the shadows for a furtive smoke, and

A Stranger Offers Us a Light