missing it tonite – cobble hill quiz

Ah, well. Is something to work towards…We’re on it…

(I lived about 200 yards from the place where the photographer was standing, as the crow flies….)

Trivia time:

1) Can you identify a second movie theater, other than the obvious one, in this picture?

2) The bushes up the block and on the right are in front of what public edifice? (Bonus question: what did I, once a year, enter said edifice to do?)

3) Easy one: the name of the street in the picture? Which streets run parallel to the one pictured? (That’s a bit harder – it’s actually something of a trick question…)

4) If you walk forward from the perspective of this picture, then turn left at the next block, and then walk and walk and walk and walk and then jump a barbed-wire fence and walk a bit more, what geographical feature will you run into?

5) Directly across the street from the movie theater there is a store that sells hundreds of varieties of what?

6) If you walk foward up this street (ignoring changes in the name of the street) to its end you will run into what?

7) While on the walk in #6, how many bookstores will you pass and what are there names?

8 ) While on the walk, toward the end, what very famous pizzeria will you pass?

9) Walking forward on the street (in 2005 – OK that’s not fair – but I’m not absolutely sure what’s changed) how many Thai restaurants will you pass by the time you reach Atlantic Avenue?

10) Before you reach Atlantic Avenue you will pass Pacific Street (naturlich). What is the name of the store on the corner of Pacific and the pictured street where I used to buy the better part of my groceries?

Super Bonus Question 1: What nearby French themed restaurant / cafe has the best back garden to sit in on a sunny Sunday afternoon?

I just noticed the ugly shadow in the picture, but I think you’ll agree it’s best, at this point, that I don’t start over. Ah, but that was fun….

I like my current neighborhood, I do. But not, um, like this.

February 25, 2009 at 1:24 am

Posted in nyc

1. 1. UA Cinema
    2. PS 133 (Vote?)
    3. Court Street; Clinton Street and Henry Street.
    4. NY Harbor
    5. Apartments?
    6. East River
    7. 4: Community Books, BookCourt, Atlantic Books, PS Bookshop
    8. Grimaldi’s
    9. 3?
    10. Trader Joe’s

Super Bonus: Sweet Melissa Patisserie (The new one in the Slope does not compare (sigh))

Typos

February 25, 2009 at 5:03 am

2. 1. Yes
    2. Yes
    3. NO! Careful – this is in the “making it strange” part of the grid.
    4. Yes
    5. Well, maybe. I am looking for a more fluid-based answer.
    6. Yes, and the lighthouse selling icecream, yep.
    7. Ah! PS is new!
    8. Yes, of course!
    9. I believe you’re right.
    10. NO! There wasn’t yet a TJ when I left.

Super Bonus: NO! I mean we all have our preferences. More French themed than that, though, and not on Court.

Very nice job though, overall….

February 25, 2009 at 8:13 am

3. I forgot the Barnes and Noble near the movies. PS is newish, perhaps not exactly on Court or even whatever Court becomes approaching the river in DUMBO, but worth a visit. Atlantic Books is very new though, as of this year. Located between Court and Clinton on Atlantic, it’s the former 12th Street Books from the City. Also, Heights Books is moving to Smith St. near Pacific.

Does Bar Tabac have a garden? I’ve never been in there.

Typos

February 25, 2009 at 4:29 pm

4. Wow jesus I wonder why so many new bookstores in such a climate. But they were sort of much needed, I guess. Always had a fantasy of owning a better BookCourt, but I think it’s bigger now than it was when I was there. And bigger is always better right?

Robin des Bois is the answer I was looking for. Erm, “Sherwood Cafe.” Does anyone call it that?

February 25, 2009 at 9:44 pm

5. I regret I’m just getting to see this now, but, you know, someone’s got to watch the child while you blog.

Let’s do this:

1. The big movie theater on Court between State and Schermerhorn – the one with the beautiful views of Brooklyn, and also the one where the woman with the toddler in Solaris went ape shit on the gay guy.

2. Not PS 133, but the School for Global Studies – shame on you for not catching Typos typo. The voting evens it out a bit though. You are good at that.

3. Court Street, with Smith on the “right” and Tompkins Place in our heart.

4. I think you mean the ocean (or harbor, I know, you’re right), but I think, at the very least, that the BQE should count as a geographical feature.

5. Bier

6. The East River, but what you’re really looking for is the Brooklyn Bridge.

7. Community Books, Book Court, new ones we don’t know, and Barnes and Noble

8. Grimaldi’s – 4pm, baby.

9. Only one that matters!

10. I didn’t know it had a name other than ours: “Pacific Street”

Bonus: Too tired to be as witty as I’d like (this blogging is a lot of pressure), but let’s go with something like Robin des Bois, or the Michelin Man and his Bitchy Waif Staff.

I hope I haven’t ruined your cover – or your tough guy image. Those really were the days. And I don’t just mean the vinyl siding.

The Missus

February 26, 2009 at 9:56 pm

6. Wait! My wife knows I have a blog! Oh shit!

February 26, 2009 at 10:00 pm

7. this neighborhood is so close to mine that I never leave mine to go there. overwhelmingly, things I would get there I can get in my own locale without making the trip. perhaps I’ll be better about exploring nearby neighborhoods when I once again get a bike.

wait – the Sweet Melissa in the Slope is subpar? I owe Cobble Hill a cake-centered journey, then, don’t I?

Dave

February 27, 2009 at 4:16 am

• Take the silly bus that runs up and down Union Street.

February 27, 2009 at 8:24 am