to the hive with it

1) Who said the bit about the unequal distribution of modernity? It was Jameson, right? Where did he say it?

2) Why can’t I find this myself? I’ve encountered that ol’ chessnut a hundred times this year at least…..

3) Or did I dream it? Is it (according a tale that goes around early-stage grad programs sometimes) the book I was always meant to write??? The Unequal Distribution of Modernity by Ads W. Products. Good title!

July 23, 2008 at 1:31 pm

1. Yes, you dreamt it. Modernity is actually distrbuted equally; I have as much as you do.

fail

July 23, 2008 at 2:19 pm

2. I don’t disagree with you about modernity. I think. I’m just wondering if FJ or someone else said something like that. I think someone did once.

Writing, you see.

July 23, 2008 at 2:21 pm

3. I think Jameson has written about the “uneven development of modernity”. But that may be something else entirely.

Anton

July 23, 2008 at 2:23 pm

4. Jameson has written in various places that, pace Habermas, all periods are characterized by incomplete transitions in modes of production (this comes up in Political Unconscious, e.g.). In A Singular Modernity he’s more particular about modernity’s incomplete transitions; I’m guessing this is what your dream was trying to recall, though I can’t honestly recall him using the exact (and fine) phrase, “the unequal distribution of modernity.”

jane

July 23, 2008 at 2:50 pm

5. perhaps:
    “The future is here. It’s just not widely distributed yet.” – William Gibson

Dave

July 23, 2008 at 6:01 pm

6. Jameson most likely (and Gibson possibly) nicked it from Trotsky’s theory of combined and uneven development.

Owen