Charming as ever…

Apparently, the Guardian thought it’d be valuable to bring the brothers Hitchens together for a nice chat. I do like that they left the following in the transcript:

Female audience member
Excuse me. I’m not usually awkward at all but I’m sitting here and
we’re asked not to smoke. And I don’t like being in a room where
smoking is going on.

CH (smoking heavily): Well, you don’t have to stay, do you darling. I’m working here and I’m your guest. OK . This is what I like.

IK Would you just stub that one out?

CH No. I cleared it with the festival a long time ago. They let me do it. If anyone doesn’t like it they can kiss my ass.

(Woman walks out)

Contrarian as evah.

May 30, 2005 at 11:02 pm

Posted in Uncategorized

1. You are probably tiring of me, but I think the goil’s response is more nauseating than is Hitch smoking. To many hyper-emotional liberals or leftists caught up in their causes du jour, a man smoking is akin to some atrocity: simply smoke a cigar in or near some place where the hip cafe left congregates and many of ’em place you in their Al Capone file if not the fascist one.
    Hitchens may make some mistakes but there are people on the left far more misguided than he is.

Patrone

May 31, 2005 at 12:38 am

2. Hitchens’ appeal to the frat-boy moderates, at least those who once read, say, Gulliver’s Travels, may be due to his intelligence as well as a sort of rock-star insouciance. He’s not a Swift or Dr. Johnson (who could be at this stage) and fails to match a Bertrand Russell in terms of wit and rationality (not to say brilliance), but he does wield a rather clean and incisive Queen’s English. Perhaps Hitchens was mistaken. Maybe Chomsky and Co. possess the irrefutable arguments (tho I do not think any of the post.mod. gangsta-maoists do), have the evidence and the proof of Bush and the GOP’s lies and duplicities and bloodlust. Nonetheless, the left lacks a figure, a mouthpiece, a Marat who might take on the right–there is the slobbish Michael Moore or Pitt (or HS Thompson before his exit) or Palast, but they seem a bit puerile and vindictive: though I would agree that liberals are not being given equal exposure in the papers and media as the Walmartians. The bodies–the dead Iraqi civilians–rarely make an appearance in US media or in the writings of Hitchens.

May 31, 2005 at 12:54 pm

3. If Hitchens wants to commit suicide by tabacco, then by all means we should support him in his right to destroy his (what must certainly be by now) weakened, withered, drink-sodden, tabacco-stained body.Perhaps we could even find out what his favorite brand of cigarette is and send cartons to his publisher, along with bottles of his favorite tipple.Enough of this, and Hitchens could transform himself from the Bad Bad to the Bad Santa of contemporary journalismsee http://gauntlet.ucalgary.ca/~gauntlet/eg/eg2/20031127/santa.jpg , paying special attention to the stained crotch.

et alia

May 31, 2005 at 2:09 pm

4. The overwhelmingly repulsive element of that exchange is neither the smoking nor the outwalking, but the ‘Darling’. Apparently if you slough off the vestiges of socialism the (always half-arsed in his case) nods toward not being a sexist boor go with it. Loathsome, swaggering, sexist little swine.

China

June 4, 2005 at 9:06 am

5. Cultural Revolution, will you despise me if I clog up your comments box? I’m just so charmed by ‘stick’ it’s impossible not to respond. He – and stick, it is he, yes? – credits me with many things I regretfully cannot claim. The youth usually concomitant with student status for one – it has been some years, sadly. A critical mass of oestregen for another. Stick, you wield the imputation of femaleness like a bravo with a cudgel! Almost as if you thought ‘girl’hood itself a weakness. I find myself unable not to think that the key perceived ‘failing’ in ‘sorority girl-like whine’ is, in your voice, the thought of being girl-like. In this instance any girlishness in my tones is coincidence – or, perhaps, in your universe, inadequacy? – I am male (I can almost hear stick’s jocular yet muscular curses as to the poor quality of his co-sexees. You are a wag, sir, and a manly one!)
    On the topic of the philosophy stick excoriates me for ignoring, I attempted to make my point precisely by pegging what I felt unpleasant (the ‘trivialities’ of prejudice) in the late Hitchens’s comment to his theoretical trajectory over the last few years. Perhaps I was not clear enough. This is undoubtedly my fault: I was relying too much, perhaps, on feminine intuition.

China

June 4, 2005 at 12:38 pm

6. Aggie? Time for your bath honey bun.

clytie stick