forgetting to remember the reminders of old

The experience of a new sense of paranoia, about our intellectual capacities, our attention spans, our abilities to concentrate, to retain. “I simply don’t seem to have the wherewithal to make it through a long book anymore – twitter’s ruined it all.” “I can remember when I’d simply sit at my desk and will my way to finishing an essay, as an undergraduate, more than a decade ago. But now, there are all of these sites to check, and emails and texts pinging their way into my awareness all of the time, and so…”

And so… one lays in bed at night worrying that the game really is up, what one could once do one can do no more, lost now in the funhouse of the always-on mediasphere. “In or around June 1995 human character changed again,” a recent essay tells us. Another, by a self-proclaimed saint of seriousness, warns us of a coming apocalypse. Reading in bed, yes, it’s true – why can’t I remember what happened in the previous chapter of this history of Byzantium? Why, furthermore, am I still not finished with this history, months after my trip to Istanbul? In the early morning, more panic to ring in the day with worry: will today be like yesterday, and the yesterday before that, where despite my best intentions I still don’t get anything done, instead always taking “five more minutes” to scan the social media screens, to surf around in the flotsam of trivial news?

Between the articles and the personal sense of guilt, then, a creeping sense of despair. Perhaps it’s the personal and intellectual version of what the ancient Romans must have felt about their Greek predecessors. Despite all these resources, all of this wealth and power and worldly awareness, why can’t we get the statues to stand up without props? Why can’t we write an Odyssey or an Oedipus Rex? Where are our Aristotles, our Platos?

But then this morning a second thought about all of this: Undoubtedly, undoubtedly, all of these new screens and devices, fora and threads, have a major impact on my – and all of our – mental and psychological ecosystems. There’s no doubt either that having the world’s body of information searchable on my desk has made me lazy about retaining information, and the ease of electronic contact has made me less willing and able to do the quiet, self-circumscribed work that I used to do when there simply weren’t many options for finding continual, causal contact with friends and strangers. But…

I am wondering this morning when, exactly, was my worklife not organised around long periods of apathy and distraction, punctuated by sudden rushes of illumination, focus, and productivity? Long before I had a working web browser and wifi setup, that’s for sure. I can’t remember what happens in novels or histories now, sure – but then look back and the notebook after notebook I filled with notes during my undergraduate and graduate years? How much of War and Peace did I really have in hand, despite just having read it, back in 1996? And further, when was it that I didn’t blow off reading interminable critical monographs to read the newspaper, magazines, or whatever was at hand? In short, when wasn’t my internal intellectual life organised in a manner resembling a factory with lazy workers, constantly off for a smoke break or getting distracted in conversation, and with a manager staring down at it all in despair, occasionally shouting at the shiftless individuals to get the hell back to work?

Not sure there’s a wider point to all of this, except perhaps to offer a slight rejoinder to the prophets of social media apocalypse who would tell us that we’re screwed… and who often succeed, as with my night time worries, to convince us of this. More than that, I guess I’m trying to remind myself – to remind myself that I’ve always needed reminders, and that if ADHD or dementia there is growing in my brain and mind, it’s been growing there from the very start.

September 18, 2013 at 10:33 am

Posted in distraction

1. A. Awesome post.
    B. You may find of interest the essay by N. Katherine Hayles, “How we Read: Close, Hyper, Machine.” She takes a look at the persistent and hyped up belief that we’re all increasingly less able to conduct “close reading” because of the deluge of short bursts of information being hurled at us minute by minute.

Stephanie D.

December 27, 2013 at 8:21 pm

2. I don’t think our brains are really rewired all that much. I think we’ve just lost the motivation to really sit down with a long book and read it. I’m as much into social media as others, but I still manage to sit down and read a book every now and then. It’s all about willpower, not about losing the capacity.

rami ungar the writer

December 27, 2013 at 9:13 pm

• I’ve got to piggy-back this answer..Its about willpower and also learning to prioritize..I see an entire generation who in my opinion, place to much value on FB’ing their every move or thought! OMG..its no small wonder they can’t get things done in real time offline..Spending too much time diddling around on social media..With anything balance is KEY..This term ADD and ADHD has gotten far more use and play than it ever should’ve…Know whose benefiting most from it? Pharmaceutical companies! Never in my life seen so many children on MEDS..Jeeeez..Backintheday we just considered kids active and NORMAL; not ADHD..Pfft! Cut the sugar in a kid’s diet and they’d not be bouncing off the walls..The fix was that simple..I co-raised 3 sons and I’d cut a limb off before letting anyone tell me they needed meds..Seen friends kids have to be weaned OFF Ritalin(and whatever else crap the docs gave them..) and that is no joke

bernasvibe

December 28, 2013 at 2:45 pm

• I know! I was one of those kids!! I didn’t know what withdrawal was until I was smack-dab in the middle of it after moving out of my parents house!! HORRIBLE EXPERIENCE!!!

lisaedgar

January 6, 2014 at 6:43 am

• Ahh but the wonderful thing is its over and you’re still standing..Sending you great big virtual hugs (((( )))))

bernasvibe

January 7, 2014 at 11:00 am

3. A desire to be distracted may have always been there, but don’t you think there’s the question of degree to be considered? When I was young — long long ago — the number of distractions at any given time were finite. But now? Depends on the number of devices at your command, I suppose.

Failures of memory are another issue. I read once — also long long ago — that we all forget about 90% of what we ever learned. We keep, in some form, only what was important to us. Once past the exam, War and Peace apparently wasn’t very important to you. What was? I bet you remember that.

ninamishkin

December 27, 2013 at 9:32 pm

4. It is normal to be distracted, but where do we draw the line?I think I am a little more ADHD than normal people. I found out only recently that it’s been my problem my whole life and I’m in my fifties! No wonder I could never handle anyone in the kitchen while I made Christmas dinner without ruining recipes. Some thought me rude when I waved my hand and shooed them out.
    I agree that social media and FSOG (five seconds on Google) has made all of us lazy. Gone are the days where I will tolerate a book in order to finish it. If I’m not entertained, I set it down.
    Great subject!
    Congrats on the FP!

susielindau

December 27, 2013 at 10:11 pm

5. “…resembling a factory with lazy workers, constantly off for a smoke break or getting distracted in conversation, and with a manager staring down at it all in despair, occasionally shouting at the shiftless individuals to get the hell back to work?”

I love this line! That’s my brain. “You, lazy boy, get back to work! Yeah, I’m talking to you. Heh, come back here!”

skepticaltechnophile

December 27, 2013 at 10:49 pm

6. Food for thought, if you can stay at the diner table long enough.

Mike

December 27, 2013 at 11:06 pm

7. Reblogged this on MGM Variety and commented:
    Food for thought, if you can stay at the dinner table long enough.

Mike

December 27, 2013 at 11:07 pm

8. We have multitasked ourselves into oblivion.

awax1217

December 27, 2013 at 11:19 pm

9. Agree. My distractability existed long before social media. I’m also a late adopter; only just got a mobile phone (and not a smart one either). Memory is a tricky beast that must be feed in the manner of its choosing. Ninamishkin’s comment about memory is on the money.

The problem that has been intensified by social media and the internet is the mistaken belief that we can successfully multitask when multitasking just makes us less productive and compounds our memory problems.

Great post. Many thanks.

Cherrie Zell

December 27, 2013 at 11:25 pm

10. Find ways of letting them work on their own.. Automate Post. Post one Post all.. Disable your notifications.. Allocate just 1 hour to check on yourself and people.. Very hard but worth the effort.. Google it.. :)
    You + Mindless Distractions = 0
    You – Mindless Distraction = Genius
    Embrace the power of Focus…
    I am also very much a victim of this phenomenon so I somewhat have an Idea.. Thanks much for this article.. :)

nersonangelo

December 27, 2013 at 11:58 pm

11. ADHD is a business. A big one. It’s a label that allows society and doctors to advertise and big pharma to produce. People pay for the privilege (and pills) to shrug helplessly and say that their ability to focus is out of their hands. But the template they’re measuring themselves by is incomplete and out of date: humans were never designed to sit still for interminable stretches of time listening to a dry-as-toast instructor, boss, or other figure drone on and on. To get twitchy, bored, and distracted is not abnormal–it’s human. And it’s a sign of high intelligence.

Consider the rolling joke school is for children. At the time in their life when they are most easily stimulated, need a wide variety of learning techniques for healthy brain development, have a ton of physical energy, and revel in the wildest, least hindered range of imagination ever…THAT is when we tell them to sit down, shut up, hold still, and absorb consistently and without error what some boring old dude is lecturing them about. (Hell, I get fidgety just thinking about it.) If they don’t or can’t comply, we drug them, ostensibly for their own good. But it’s merely to make the instructor’s day run easier while they attempt to accomplish the impossible–teach all the children, all the time–for very little pay.

I certainly would have been diagnosed ADHD had I been born in this A Pill For Every Label Era. Having no socially reinforced scapegoat illness to blame, thank goodness, I learned about myself, instead. I embarked on an autodidactic journey of learning techniques and coping mechanisms, collected with other thinkers of my type, and finally embraced my particular brand of focus as a superpower, not a detriment. I study neurology for fun now; it’s astounding how much the public doesn’t know about what their own mind can do simply because a big company hasn’t found a way to cash in on it yet.

Don’t listen to the ads. You’re a superhero, not a condition. Go, get ‘em.

allthoughtswork

December 28, 2013 at 12:49 am

• PS: I have a stand alone computer, not a laptop; I have an ancient flip phone, not a smart phone; I use WordPress, not Facebook; I use email, not texting; and I use maps to navigate, not GPS.

And my days are blissful. Disgustingly so.

allthoughtswork

December 28, 2013 at 12:55 am

• Great comment. So, do you consider yourself ADHD? How long was your journey?

biancalorenloves

December 29, 2013 at 5:54 am

• I’ll let you know when–SHINY!–it’s over. Probably gonna enjoy this–SQUIRREL!–ride until the day I die. Meanwhile, having lots–KITTY!–of fun along the way.

‘NOTHER KITTY!

allthoughtswork

December 29, 2013 at 6:45 am

12. What exactly is the point of Facebook? I have a land line, love maps, have never texted, and love paper books. I do like getting an answer to a question in 5 seconds via Google though. I miss writing long letters on paper.

downcastmysoul

December 28, 2013 at 1:17 am

13. What I want to know is when we changed two spaces into one. I have been having a personal writing crisis about that. I was typing and I just couldn’t remember do I press the space bar twice or once. I have ADD but could this be the start of dementia?

padawandreamer

December 28, 2013 at 1:35 am

• I don’t know when, but it is because of computer fonts having consistent spacing as compared to typewriters. It’s been easily 5 years plus. Maybe 10.

speechchic

December 28, 2013 at 9:03 am

14. I feel like maybe social media is making an existing problem worse.
    Still, I think a lot of it’s up to the individual. When I study, I have to read and understand a case, break it down logically and anticipate arguments that my professor might throw at me the next day when we’re reviewing it. I find when I get away from my computer, I’m able to sit down and work through several hours of this stuff without a problem. Most of the other people in my class do the same thing. The question of how much we let ourselves get distracted is one we should think about too.
    Interesting post; thanks!

sonatano1

December 28, 2013 at 4:38 am

15. When we are younger and I am not bashing young people, are thoughts can be fragmented. Just being in college can tax your time and make your thoughts kind of compartmentalized. But there are valuable grains of truth embedded and that idealism does matter. So keep up the good work!

Foghorn The IKonoclast

December 28, 2013 at 6:25 am

16. Same with me. When I am away from the computer, I find that I can still focus. In fact, I just finished an Atwood book in one seating. The problem is when I’m in front of the computer. It’s kind of like my brain has been conditioned to pay attention to shorter texts and a lot of graphics whenever I’m on the internet. The brain really relies a lot on conditioning.

louiseaux

December 28, 2013 at 7:14 am

17. Great first sentence, but then I noticed a tweet from…
    The first sentence of your fourth paragraph is wonderful. The bridge to your enlightenment reminds me of the Grinch when he realizes that maybe Christmas is about more that the presents. Although my attention span often hovers on non-existent, I believe that the tweets, Facebook messages and blogs are introducing me to a world I might never have known. And now people half-way across the world have become my neighbors. Thanks for your article. BarbaraRath.com

Barbara Rath

December 28, 2013 at 1:34 pm

18. My son, who has been diagnosed with and takes medication for ADHD, would have been expelled from school years ago were it not for the help of the drugs. However, he would play games on his Ipod or DS for hours at a time if allowed.

I think we have all fallen prey to the electronic age to some extent. Although or maybe because we have a world of information at our fingertips, it is harder to remember extraneous information. Maybe that’s just our intelligence realizing we don’t have to though. Every good thing has its drawbacks.

Great, thought-provoking post!

mcbarlow5

December 28, 2013 at 1:40 pm

19. Having raced through the Met’s Greek and Roman galleries last night with a friend, I halted long enough to show her one of my favorite objects — a pair of gold earrings, made in 3 B.C. They did get some things right! Kidding.

Now, what were you saying? :-)

broadsideblog

December 28, 2013 at 5:16 pm

20. Reblogged this on The Redwine Model.

fdnropsec

December 28, 2013 at 6:13 pm

21. “Not sure there’s a wider point to all of this…”

Neither am I. Don’t worry; be happy.

jguenther5

December 28, 2013 at 9:18 pm

22. It is ERIS, goddess of chaos. The intellectual energy is here it fluctuates on places like your blog and throughout the internet. The problem is that the good strife get released more and doesn’t build up into monumental works. The intellectual work is dispelled in a death of a million wounds through each blog post each article.

twosipp

December 29, 2013 at 12:21 am

23. I was going to write a clever comment, but it has slipped my mind…

transitionstande

December 29, 2013 at 1:12 am

24. On the Subway Train to work – or home – I regularly observe my fellow commuters, instead of burying myself in social media. Well, I can’t, because I don’t have a smart phone, but that’s beside th point. I don’t really want one, anyway. I’m smart enough, myself, and while outsourcing tasks to a computer is an economical decision, there are some things people should still do in the real world. I digress. So, recently, I’m listening to two school kids, talking about who they’re friends with on fb, why which other kid blocked them (“such a dick”). Take this with a little grain of salt, because I used to be quite the fb-lite when I didn’t have a job, but my drinking habits always forced me to seek the company of fellow drunks, so I was never as isolated and distracted from what was important as those two kids. At least I knew what important things I was missing out on in my life. The distraction of the mind, that we can battle, as long as there is a recess in our personalities that is more than our social media portfolio. I feel many parents are losing the battle with social media over their children

NicoLite Великий

December 29, 2013 at 1:39 am

25. Good post.. It took me a week to get through it. jk :)

River City Roots

December 29, 2013 at 1:55 am

26. hmm..thank you for all service

RadityaNugraha.salaka

December 29, 2013 at 7:35 am

27. Great post. Exactly what I was mulling over the other day. We have advance some much to the point of our own detriment sometimes :/

live.love.learn

December 29, 2013 at 10:22 am

28. It is just possible that early man suffered from being distracted after the wheel was invented. What with all of that moving about and shifting things that could not be shifted or moved before. Nowadays we worry about our loss of attention, but attention to what one wonders. It is true we suffer from having alluvial knowledge syndrome, that is we now know a little about an awful lot and a lot about an awful little, but when we really require the know how and the technique we seem to adapt quickly. My guess is that we are comfortable with the new ways of technology and other distractions but simply find it hard to admit to ourselves and to others. If your happy and you know it clap your hands I say.

bristlehound

December 29, 2013 at 12:18 pm

29. IMHO The key is discipline…setting small achievable goals, achieving them and then raising the bar.

Congratulations on being Freshly Pressed!

GoosBall

December 29, 2013 at 12:44 pm

30. I think you make a great point. We are so bombarded by the ease of social networking, instant movies, instant everything that we lose site of staying on track.

brendaloveladyphoto

December 29, 2013 at 1:58 pm

31. ADHD is a fictitious disease.. said by the guy who coined the term ‘ADHD’ http://snehankekre612.wordpress.com/

ssnehan

December 29, 2013 at 3:02 pm

32. Very true… some strangers call it modernization and I call it digital gaps! Social is social when you really are…

dheerajsah

December 29, 2013 at 4:29 pm

33. Interestingly, I find I read and write these days in about the same way as I always have, the fits and starts that you reference. My journal will go days or weeks without me writing, then will have six in a two day period. The web is no more a distraction than the TV is (or was), except that I have access to a wider ranger of cultures.

And I much enjoy the description “In short, when wasn’t my internal intellectual life organised in a manner resembling a factory with lazy workers, constantly off for a smoke break or getting distracted in conversation, and with a manager staring down at it all in despair, occasionally shouting at the shiftless individuals to get the hell back to work?” I may have to share that picture with my friends!

Jeff

December 29, 2013 at 7:35 pm

34. I do not believe this is new but more pronounced in today’s structured style of education and life style. Ben Franklin is an example of an active child who could not thrive in the classroom setting. He even had difficult in his apprenticeship. I believe there are different learning styles. Those of us who learn better by doing become restless, in an “observing from a desk” approach. Children these days have less activity during the school day and after hours. Chores are less active and interests are more sedate geared to technical activities. There are severe cases of ADD/ADHD that are assuredly neurologically related, but inability to burn energy and the option of apprentice yearning is. in my view, much of the issue.

carolynsilvers

December 30, 2013 at 12:29 am

35. Reblogged this on centerlefty and commented:
    There’s a great book out called: What the Internet is Doing to Our Brains. The main thesis is that too much Internet activity produces shallow thinking and rewires our brains in such a way as to make deep, analytical thought less possible. However, the good news is that as long as we read, we won’t lose deep thinking skills – so we can do both, it just has to be balanced (like everything in life) . The problem is when people only surf and text, and don’t read for sustained periods, the brain will rewire itself to lose some deep thinking. But you can get it back again by simply practicing reading and writing — so the guy’s point also is that the brain is highly elastic.

bige66

December 30, 2013 at 12:53 am

36. Reblogged this on Ask Emersen… and commented:
    Interesting read.

emersenlee

December 30, 2013 at 1:35 am

37. So true…!

zetsarina

December 30, 2013 at 2:53 am

38. Even if we know it’s harming us, we can’t stop. Very similar to addiction. Severe rehabilitation would be necessary to balance our lifestyles in a healthy manner.

dshah96

December 30, 2013 at 6:58 am

39. really interesting

fashionforlunch

December 30, 2013 at 5:31 pm

40. Whatever happened to being a product of your environment? Surely, there are aspects of non-sequitur actions of not thinking on impulse. (Or is that impulsively doing without thinking?) Where just is that line drawn from wanting to needing? Is it activated by our human conditioning, or did the media give the go ahead? At what point of reaction did my DNA consider the moral attributes, and believe the Law was wrong?

ICURPNT2

December 30, 2013 at 11:46 pm

41. Reblogged this on blogalynn.

blogalynn

December 31, 2013 at 4:40 am

42. Our family has now been faced with a diagnosis that is under the mental health umbrella. We relate to the majority of answers posted. It’s helping us . We feel connected now.

Rootedby The Blended

December 31, 2013 at 5:00 am

43. Reblogged this on BriWrites and commented:
    Great post!

Brian Hartz

December 31, 2013 at 3:42 pm

44. Thank you Stephanie D. for the passing the essay on…

glutenfreebohemian

December 31, 2013 at 4:12 pm

45. Great post! My blog delves into the same topics. I would agree with Nina who pointed out it has much to do with the number of available distractions these days, that makes us feel so much more fragmented than in earlier days.

You'll Soon Be Flying

December 31, 2013 at 5:21 pm

46. Reblogged this on You'll Soon Be Flying and commented:
    Great read!

You'll Soon Be Flying

December 31, 2013 at 5:23 pm

47. Nice post, I definitely see your concern. I have recently read similar articles, and I ultimate feel this is correct. Are we all going to be cyborgs one day, with the ability to use telepathy so we don’t even have to speak? I hope not, but their is a big trans-humanist movement going on.

johns448

December 31, 2013 at 10:37 pm

48. The brain is a wonder in itself. It is so intricately designed and wired. We should take better care of our brains, and do more intellectual things with our time.

orthodoxchristian2

January 1, 2014 at 5:29 am

49. Thank you. Great post!

Laura Carbonell

January 1, 2014 at 3:24 pm

50. I’ll agree with you rami, because what you’re saying is just a repeat of what I would have said. I’ll agree that social media has become a large part of anyone’s life, but they need to sit down with one of their favorite books n’ read it.

mandrew948

January 1, 2014 at 5:22 pm

51. Reblogged this on Ave de las Mil Tempestades.

avedelasmiltempestades

January 2, 2014 at 11:31 pm

52. Nice post. I used to be very active on Facebook but no longer. I guess I’m just getting older. There are only so many silly pics, memes, fake articles, and pop culture references I can take on those social media posts. A good book becomes an escape for me!

jreidauthor

January 3, 2014 at 4:27 am

53. I like the term ‘saints of seriousness’. It’s easy to get judgmental about the frivolity of internet content. Infact ive just made a post on the looped video phenomenon, asserting that these animated gifs floating around the internet are infact something more than ‘trivial internet flotsam’, that they are infact creating a precis version of our culture.

id love to hear your view on this. heres a link to my post:

virajrohancircar

January 3, 2014 at 6:02 am

54. Reblogged this on virajrohancircar.

virajrohancircar

January 3, 2014 at 6:04 am

55. Adhd is not actual illness. It is a group of random personality traits so many people share. I am the most unorganised, messy, random, crazy person I know and haven’t been diagnosed with adhd, yet these are all apparently symptoms.

KirRay World

January 4, 2014 at 1:54 am

56. […] Is Our Collective ADHD Really A New Thing? […]

57. All of our modern day philosophers and prophets are locked up in mental institutions, ADHD doesn’t exist, and the words of the prophets are written on the subway walls.

stuwie911

January 4, 2014 at 8:03 am

58. I would LOVE to “like” this, but I couldn’t pay attention long enough to read it. I AM the problem! ***SQUIRREL!!!***

couplestylo

January 4, 2014 at 8:39 am

59. Reblogged this on Life.

deidrelynnmurray

January 4, 2014 at 8:44 am

60. My wife would absolutely love this blog.

coachmalikhall

January 4, 2014 at 5:35 pm

61. :-)

January 4, 2014 at 5:55 pm

62. hard enough to sit down and read. try hard enough to sit down and actually think…

Sunyata

January 4, 2014 at 6:34 pm

63. Great post. As graduate student I can completely relate, I cant even count the amount of times i’ve allowed social media to interrupt me in the flow of writing a paper. The sad part is, none of it is important yet i consistently find myself on Pinterest pinning ecards about how I need to learn how to stop procrastinating and get me work done. Haa!

Minaa B

January 5, 2014 at 12:01 am

64. We are all suffering an overdose of other people’s lives.

Michael Lever

January 5, 2014 at 12:38 pm

65. Good post, good thoughts. I wonder if there is any connection to modern parenting strategies.
    When I was a child there were some tasks that I was made to stick to until completion. Those ranged from cleaning my plate to high school science projects.
    I no longer see this taught. Could there be some connection?

Deliberating Dave

January 5, 2014 at 8:53 pm

66. Reblogged this on Unconventionally Grown.

ashleychildress

January 6, 2014 at 12:22 am

67. It’s definitely a generational thing. Twitter and other social media teaches us to focus on a limited number of characters or time. The variety of ways to store information in phones and computers means we no longer have to store anything in our heads.

Anon.

January 6, 2014 at 1:25 am

68. Great post, kudos on FP.
    I’ve had several discussions about how technology has created ADD/ADHD in all of us. No one can stay in the moment anymore, always checking FB, then Twitter, then Instagram or SnapChat or whatever the newest social media site is that month.

JulianeAshley

January 6, 2014 at 6:49 am

69. I’m not sure how many of the folks in this conversation have or have been diagnosed as having the condition, I probably missed it. I am a woman with ADHD and I just gotta say, wow! There has been so much talk about attention deficit disorder in the last few months.
    I used to pray that one day the condition would lose the negative stigma-kids and adults just being crazy lazy and stupid; and instead be accepted as a trait associated with a different way of thinking due to a biochemical difference just as common as something like nut allergies…I’m so glad I am able to be open about my condition these days. But it seems that now folks are either claiming the trait as their own and disregarding other causes for it because the “ADHD excuse” has become that common, or joined the “over diagnosis” or over-medication” ADD-basher club.
    Now, I’m just praying for the adults that may have an issue and are so overwhelmed by social media and are unable to just “poof”get it together in spite of mental hardships they can’t explain or control. So many articles, posts and comments… Damnit I’m torn! This was a great article. I just hope all of the 70+ ppl commenting and reblogging are knowledgable about the deeper facets of ADHD. http://wp.me/P47Rr8-4r

Savvy ADHD Sista

January 7, 2014 at 4:28 pm

70. Reblogged this on emewerner and commented:
    Amazing post: facing the real problems of society today. Are we really becoming lazier and unable to focus? Or are doctors merely prescribing pharmaceuticals when it appears something is wrong? (What about the discipline factor in young children? When did it become a diagnosed “mental problem” when they couldn’t sit in a classroom for a few hours?)

The Bean